Goethals Bridge Replacement
AK Services provided hydro demolition services for anomaly removal on drilled shafts at Goethals Bridge, New Jersey.
- Close proximity to the NJ Turnpike
- Groundwater infiltration issues
- GC was having challenges with several drilled shafts
- This was the only section of bridge that was not going vertical, and it was extremely schedule-critical.
- The remote location of the shafts made access a challenge, as well as bringing water into the site while working around the busy operating turnpike
- 6 caissons, max depth 68-ft deep, 36,000-psi, 12 to 25-gpm
- The AK Team used specialty heads that they had previously designed and fabricated for use on the the Wittpen Bridge project
- Multiple anomalies were detected and removed
The AK Team successfully got the project back on-schedule again, and used the test cores to successfully remove all anomalies.